Monday, April 29, 2013

Eurotrip!

Europe has been incredible!
As one might guess of course.

Michael and I have been in Europe for the passed week now. We spent our first week of training in La Seu D'Urgell which is a small town north of Barcelona and just south of the Andorra border.
It's a great course and a great town filled with friendly people, and of course, good paddling.

The training was good as Michael and I have been keen to push hard the whole time we are here.

As the race approached we lowered the volume of our workload but not the intensity.

The race was tough for both of us. I had a horrendous second qualifying run but managed a decent first run.
Moving into the semi final I had a new edge of nervousness added to my mental game. I obviously knew that finals was out of the question as Spain, France, and Slovenia had some of their best paddlers there. It did not ease my mind though as I approached the start gate.
Running through the course the top section was smooth, on line, and everything was going as planned. Coming into gate 12, a tricky upstream, I took a little too much inside edge and ended up sliding low into the up. Upon the exit of gate 12 I had a rough line through 13, making me a little shaky for 14 and of course, ended up getting a 50 second penalty on gate 14.
The rest of the course was solid but it made me sad that I had the penalty in 14.

That's racing though :)

Not too much of anything to report other then that. I am back in Foix though! After 3 years the town hasn't changed one little bit and I love it.

We race here tomorrow and wednesday, then move onto Pau for the last of the Pyrenees cups.

I'll try and keep this up to date with my travels


Hope all is well at home!

A

No comments: